Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Speeders R US

Last week my friend got a ticket for speeding in a school zone. I felt bad for her because it is a hefty fine to speed in that area. Not more than three days later I was driving home from a playdate around lunch time. Cruising down the street talking to Natalie about our day and looking at the elementary school out the window. I look up and see flashing lights in my rear view mirror. I pull over and Officer McDermott comes to my window. The same officer my friend saw three days ago.

"Ma'am did you know this is a school zone and you were going 10 over?"

"Really? A school zone? Were there flashing lights? I don't see any kids outside. I'm new here and none of my kids go to school." (I'm not trying to pay dumb, but I really didn't see any of that.)

"Yes there were lights and I'm sorry you're new here, but you have to get a ticket. Go to court and you can have it taken off your record in a year."

"Can I go to driving school for this?"

"Driving school? No, we don't have driving school." (Who doesn't have driving school so I can watch movies all day?) "Here's your ticket. Sorry, but make sure you obey the speed limit next time."

So I plan to fight this in court. My friend drove past the area where I was caught and there is no school zone sign. Wish me luck with my google maps and pictures. I'll let you know who wins- me or Officer McDermott, school zone cop.

3 comments:

Mama Nut said...

Go, Sarah, go Sarah! It really bugs me when tickets are handed out left and right like that. It makes me wonder if police officers don't get paid a little comission from the city to encourage increased revenue. Ugh!

Rainie said...

Good luck!!! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Brenda said...

Good luck Sarah!!! I hope you win!